Friday, September 4, 2009

i heart flowers

Yes, I do. I love flowers. All of the different shapes, colors, textures, structures... It's all so fascinating. And, of course, beautiful. Cosmos have earned a top place in my heart over the past couple of years. There's one as big as I am in my backyard! I'll show you another time. I bought these two antique medicine bottles a while back from the wonderful people at Haven, in Plymouth. They're the shop that carries my jewelry. Anyway, pretty much anything looks amazing in these bottles-turned-vases. Including mint and cosmos...





I also love flowers from other people. Especially Karen. She just started bringing her beautiful flowers bouquets to the Plymouth farmer's market. She goes to Canton, too. She has a very green thumb and a great eye for floral composition. I love her flowers. Each week, I've brought home two bouquets. Well, not the first week, but that wasn't for a lack of trying. They got lost somehow.... Anyway, aren't they beautiful?


I love her use of greenery. The fern, the grass spikes...



And she put together this bunch of Queen Anne's just for me. I got oh so excited when I saw these stems of it in her bucket.


What flowers have you been enjoying?

4 comments:

Jen said...

I have a real soft spot for Queen Anne season - it brings me back to the happy summers of childhood.

Brittany, these images of the flowers and the composition of the photos are so delicate and lovely!

Brittany | the Home Ground said...

Queen Anne has the same feelings for me, too! So does cornflower. The dahlia is starting to fade, and I'm so sad for it...

jamestryingtocloseblog said...

cool blog, brittany. I've been into these plants that bloom yellow in fields this time of year, but I have no idea what they're called.

Brittany | the Home Ground said...

Thanks, James! Those plants are goldenrod. I love them, too. They make the best yellow dye ever! Remember the Goldenrod Crayola crayon? The best golden-yellow... That's what it's named after. I wonder if you could make a pigment from them?