Wednesday, January 27, 2010

.press.





Letterpress! I am so psyched for this class. It's starting really slowly, but hopefully it'll pick up and we'll make some great stuff. I have a pretty solid idea as to what I would like the theme of my letterpress adventures to be, but I'll update you more on that later. I'm printing my first poster next week, so I'll just let you see it. This post has to be very quick today. My thumb muscle on my right hand and the mid-forearm on my left arm are both killing me. Jerks.

Anyway, I'm the only person in my section of the class who isn't in Illustration. Intimidated? Uh, yeah. Buuuut... We just did cyanotypes today! So, I can use photography as an image, which is very relieving. Also, we'll be doing block carving, so I can carve blocks of my repeat patterns from last semester as well as images from photographs. I'm excited to see how the heck you translate a photo into a linoleum block.

Sadly, I had to leave my cyanotype at school to dry, so I have no image of it today. But, I can tell you that the first image I printed was the corn photo from Greenfield Village (looking over at you, Lisa!). Something to look forward to tomorrow, no?

I must stop functioning now.

I'm reading "Independence Days: A Guide to Sustainable Food Storage and Preservation" by Sharon Astyk. I'm only on the second chapter, but I'm in love. The points she makes are spot on, if not a little dramatic (she talks about preparing for emergencies a lot, which is relevant, but not quite to this degree, I think) and I really like the style of her writing. She doesn't talk down, she doesn't preach, it's like a conversation. I'm feeling so motivated right now! I think I'll even go down to the Ann Arbor farmer's market on Saturday, since I haven't gone all winter. I'm also going to join a CSA this year. I haven't decided on which one yet... If anyone in the area has any recommendations? Jen?


Don't forget about my giveaway for a pair of handwoven fingerless mittens! It's open til 7pm Friday night, so don't delay, my friends!

10 comments:

Fiona Cartolina said...

Uh oh - a letterpress addict in the making. You are gonna love this! (well, until you have to clean everything up with Varsol - he he!)
Look forward to seeing your poster Brittney :-)

Brittany | the Home Ground said...

Yes, I may already be addicted... I just love the process! Except, yes, cleaning. We use straight up mineral spirits over here. What's Varsol? Is it any healthier? I definitely get a headache in that room...

Scott Daly said...

So a huge part of me wishes I didn't drop this class. However the other part realizes that I have soo much on my plate :) And I've been trying to follow the 80/20 rule. I'm sure I'll sneak back in there to do a few prints.

Matt Chung said...

Can't wait to see what you make in this class!

Anonymous said...

this is awesome. i cant wait to see more. also, i dont work until 2 saturday so maybe i can see you at the market.

Brittany | the Home Ground said...

Scott, you definitely should be in this class. So far, the workload is minimal, and the techniques are awesome! Cyanotype! I think I was the most excited, with my photo roots.... You should come hang out and live vicariously through us all.

Matt, I can't either :) I can't wait to see what you're making at all... Blog update please!

Chelsea, market is for sure on Saturday. That is awesome. I will give you my gift :)

Carlene said...

I'm dying here. I want to learn to letterpress so badly! I'm going to talk to a woman this weekend who gives workshops.

I can't wait to see what you make!

Brittany | the Home Ground said...

It's so much fun, Carlene! There's a lot of nit picky setup, but I love that stuff. It's like knitting or setting up a loom. More like a loom; you set it up forever, but then you can just go! You should definitely take a workshop, you'd love it.

Jesse said...

Ooh, lovely photos of the letterpress paraphernalia. I'm so envious!

Brittany | the Home Ground said...

Thanks Jesse! It's so much fun, I love it!