Tuesday, March 16, 2010

.bones.





This is about two weeks late, but...

I got x-rays! For the first time in my adult life, too. I was really hoping I would have to get one when I went to the orthopedic office, and lo and behold. However, the actual x-ray process was very disappointing. I just sat there with a thing on my lap. I don't know why I thought it would be different from x-rays at the dentist... I was so excited about the image, though, that I bought a copy for $15 and took it home! I love it and have it hanging on the ceiling beam in the living room. I'd love to have it on a window, but figured that might be too creepy for people walking by. Would you be creeped out? I would probably think it was really cool, but my opinions are often not those of the greater populous.

Anyway, my bones are fine (I kind of knew they were, but my doctor wanted to check for arthritis and other bony stuff).

So.... I went to a physical doctor last week to check out my softer tissues. They looked at my spine (apparently I have mild scoliosis! Thanks for not finding it, middle school tests...) and tested the strength (or, in my case, lack thereof) of my arm and hand and finger muscles. My pinkies can't resist even the slightest push, I should be working them out. Really.

The diagnosis is over-use syndrome. No fancy words or anything. Just over-use. Like I didn't know that already! He gave me some wrist exercises to do everyday (I need to go do those for today!) and said that in a few months, once I've built up the strength in these puppies, my pain should decrease and then go away. Hallelujah! This semester will still continue to be painful, but at least there's a fix.

And some cool new art.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

how cool! this is why i am sorry - because we didn't even get to talk about this today. :( i can't wait to see it. and i'm glad you are just exercises away from being better.

Brittany | the Home Ground said...

now worries, chels. really! we'll have alone time soon. if our schedules ever work out!

Lisa at lil fish studios said...

How does one exercise a pinky? Just curious...

I think the x-rays are cool too! My dad has one of his ankle with the screws and stuff in it (a horse rolled on top of him and snapped his foot off of his leg. It's OK, it's back on now) and I always thought it was the coolest thing.

Glad you're OK. Glad it's just overuse and not something more serious.

Brittany | the Home Ground said...

Not sure on the pinky, Lisa! I suppose my lack of knowledge could be responsible for my weakling pinkies? X-rays with screws and stuff are crazy. I was really worried that I had done permanent damage, so I'm glad it's just overuse, too. Thanks :)

please sir said...

I love X-Rays too and did a big, sculptural project about them in school. I'll have to dig up the photos and send your way! Glad to hear all is well with your bones.

Brittany | the Home Ground said...

I'd love to see them! I've thought about using the tiny details in my hand bones as a starting point for embroidery or something similar, but none of my school projects really allow for that, so I'll have to keep it in mind for after school. Definitely send me those pics, though :)