Monday, October 13, 2008

2 of 3

This is my shibori weaving so far.


Beautiful blanket with a simple, meaningful even cross motif. The four winds. Tranquility.

Beautiful pillows. Love the texture and subtle colors. I was told in a critique last week that I need to "step out of my box" and "use more bright colors." Whatever. It was one of the worst critiques ever in that it was completely unfounded. My friend Rachael backed me up though. So did Sue, my teacher. I'm sorry that I prefer to use more subtle colors that reflect my upbringing in western Michigan and that make you, as the viewer, come a bit closer to my artwork in order to appreciate the complexity of the color. Subtle dusty pink is much more beautiful than hot pink to me. Anyway..... blanket and pillow from Sundance.



These two gorgeous lovely photos are courtesy of Gucci. Sigh. I want to be there in that skirt and tights. I couldn't wear those heels, though. Even in my fanciful fantasies.

4 comments:

Jen said...

Beautiful weaving. I wonder what the issue was about bright colors - in my days at design school (a BILLION years ago) that kind of comment would have been ignored entirely.

That's kind of like one of my writing students telling another: why don't you step outside your box and write a horror story?

It might be an exercise to play a little, but to actually commit major amounts of time and energy to something that doesn't speak to what they're trying to do as a writer? Hmmm...

Brittany | the Home Ground said...

Thanks Jen. That's exactly how I felt. My teacher even said to her: that's like telling Kirby (a girl who does use a lot of bright colors) to use more subtle colors in her design. It's not Kirby.

It was all very silly.

Sabrina Moyle said...

Ah! Love these photos - so sublime (and they'd be great inspiration for some creative wedding photography, too!)

Brittany | the Home Ground said...

Aren't they great?! I can't even pick a favorite. The texture of the first two with the colors and playfulness of the second two are great to look at!
Thanks for your comment :)